Board Minutes

November 2019 Meeting

Minutes DYC Planning Meeting Nov 11, 2019

6:30-8:30 PM


Gardner Builders Duluth, 2 W 1st St Suite 133, Duluth, MN 55802, USA


Board Members Present: Dave Johnson, Commodore, Matt Rona, Vice Commodore, Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Steve Henry, Past Commodore, Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Tom Torgerson (20), Gini Breidenbach (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21)


Introductions (Pictures with Dave)


Bylaws

  • Section 14
    • more limited than state versions
    • Track the state statute. (Suggested by TT)
      • Section 9.2 for calling special meetings
  • Continue to hunt for gender neutrality issues throughout the document


Planning for the year

  • Board Meeting Schedule
    • Monthly (currently 2nd Monday of the month)
      • Need to confirm no conflict with boat club and DSSA
    • Finances
      • Purpose of the budget
        • Utilize it more vigorously?
        • Budget was in place by April last year
          • Set by January
        • For the future Budget should be getting set much earlier in the year (i.e. right now, goal for 2020 into 2021 season).

      • Race/membership fees
        • Can be good to go ASAP once prices are set (Done using SignMeUp
          • Fees and such will not start moving to the bank starting Jan 1
        • Additional charge for CC (3% flat fee across the board)
    • Tax Documents
      • Filed in the spring
    • Non Profit
      • Spring
    • Audit
    • Insurance - Official Mailing PO Box 18
      • US Sailing - Spring
        • Race Committee
        • On the Beach
      • Boat
        • October
    • Membership
      • Online application ready
    • Communications
      • Newsletter - Melissa France
        • Quarterly - Winter Social schedule
          • Before season starts May 1
          • Mid Summer
          • Late Summer
      • Leading Edge
        • Must have everything in by April 15 at the latest
        • Goal to have by April 1
      • Social
        • Continuous
      • Website
        • Ongoing
    • Racing
      • Schedule
        • Approve at December meeting
      • Online Registrations
        • Can be ready to go ASAP after race fees are set
        • Feb 1
      • NOR and SI
        • April 1 for leading edge
      • Skippers meeting
        • May
      • Ratings Review
        • Fall/May
        • On Thurs agenda
      • Class Assignments, Class Flags
        • May
      • Awards Trophies Flags
        • Sept
      • Scoring/results
        • Night of would be great
        • 24 hour at the longest
    • Socials
      • Schedule
        • Divvying up of Wednesday Races
          • Is being discussed within committee
          • Maybe adding into Leading Edge
            • April 1
        • Lake Superior Brewing is first one
        • By Nov for this winters schedules
      • Special Events
        • Skippers Meeting
          • Set Date in April
        • Banquet
          • November
    • Boat Club Site
      • Tent Permit
        • Submit Jan 1
        • Can only be a 90 day permit
      • Tent Raising/removal
    • Education
      • Events
        • Announced in Dec (for quarterly newsletter)
    • Annual meeting
      • 1 April
    • Nominating Committee
      • Nominate new by Sept
  • Who’s doing what
    • Communications
      • Social Media Hilary Madden - Jon Haaversen
      • Leading Edge Susan and David Turnham
      • Newsletter - Melissa France
      • Website - Dave Johnson, Justin Keepers, Gini Breidenbach
    • Finance - Tom Torgerson
      • Treasurer - Jim Welinski
      • Set Budget/Investment - Paul Buckley, Tom, Jim
    • Education
      • 3 Events planned by Justin Aulie
    • Race Committee
      • See Agenda
      • Boat of the year requirements need to be addressed
      • Make up date for races?
      • Duluth Entry/Commercial traffic
        • Explore at later date (Dave Johnson)
    • Social Events (Christian)
      • After Race Social (see Agenda)(Nannah Myers is Chair)
      • Special Events
      • Off Season
      • Awards Banquet (Laura E)
      • Skippers Meeting (Jim Welinski)
      • Address DYC Alcohol Concerns (Tom T)

Membership (Matt Ruona)

      • Recruitment (Laura E, Assist Matt R)
      • Member Database (Susan T)
      • Email List (Susan T)
      • Online Membership (Susan T)
      • Recruit Volunteers (Heidi Halker)
    • Boat Club Liaison
      • Kelly M
    • DSSA Merger (Dave Johnson, Christian Fraser, Nannah Myers, Kelly McMahon
    • Tent Site Manager (David T)
    • Nominating Committee (John Hoenig, Stacy McKenzie, David Turnham, Keith Stauber and Fred Duderhar)
    • Trans (Stacy McKenzie, Dave Johnson, John Vallez, Chris Henry)
    • Slideshow for banquet Brian Hammond
    • Complete Emergency Action Plan (Jon Haaversen, Eric Thomas)
    • Navy Ship Commissioning Event
      • No Date Set Yet
      • Dave Johnson, Laura E
    • Club Phone Number>?



Business for 11/10

  • Susan/Membership Fees
    • Concern with Treasurer about added fees about CC and Service fees to simplify work on treasurer
    • Jim wants to give them a fee, no extra added fees
      • Add 3% to fees, this is what we are charging
      • Jim needs to see the line item for the fees, period.
    • Board Approves a 3% raise if needed (goal of not to raise)
  • Jim has some items
    • Balance Sheets
    • P/L October
    • Do we want to put money down on Grey Solon
      • Social Committee
      • Do we have a date
      • Prices
        • Costs will be in the leading edge
      • Expenses are a detriment for many
        • Tiered approach, for those that can’t afford, can come in and get drinks, etc.
      • Motion by Susan
        • Second by Kelley
        • It goes
    • Contribution
      • Protocol for treasurer
        • What needs done for Jim to right a check
        • DSSA 1500 (upped to 2500)
          • Membership Vote to increase paid for by Trans (comes from the same pot)
        • Merger 2 cents
          • Jim S wants something to happen with the boat club site
          • Wants to know why (specifics)
  • Kelly
    • What are the issues
    • Boat Club Site
  • Gini
    • Nannah Myers Women at the helm (Thursday Meeting)

January 2020 meeting

When: January 13 2020 7:00pm


Where: Gardner Building


  • Board Members Present - Dave Johnson, Commodore, Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Gini Breidenbach (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21)


  • November Meeting Approved


  • Review the minutes from November (Jon)
    • Communications
      • Social Hilary Madden - Jon Haaversen
      • Leading Edge Susan and David Turnham
      • Newsletter - Melissa France
      • Website - Dave Johnson, Justin Keepers, Gini Breidenbach
    • Finance - Tom Torgerson
      • Treasurer - Jim Welinski
      • Set Budget/Investment - Paul Buckley, Tom, Jim
    • Education
      • 3 Events planned by Justin Aulie
    • Race Committee
      • Boat of the year requirements need to be addressed
      • Duluth Entry/Commercial traffic
        • Explore at later date (Dave Johnson)
    • Social Events (Christian)
      • After Race Social (see Agenda)(Nannah Myers is Chair)
      • Special Events
      • Off Season
      • Awards Banquet (Laura E)
      • Skippers Meeting (Jim Welinski)
      • Address DYC Alcohol Concerns (Tom T)
    • Membership (Matt Ruona)
      • Recruitment (Laura E, Assist Matt R)
      • Member Database (Susan T)
      • Email List (Susan T)
      • Online Membership (Susan T)
      • Recruit Volunteers (Heidi Halker)
    • Boat Club Leason
      • Kelly M
    • DSSA Merger (Dave Johnson, Christian Fraser, Nannah Myers, Kelly McMahon
    • Tent Site Manager (David T)
    • Nominating Committee (John Hoenig, Stacy McKenzie, David Turnham, Keith Stauber and Fred Duderhar)
    • Trans (Stacy McKenzie, Dave Johnson, John Vallez, Chris Henry)
    • Slideshow for banquet Brian Hammond
    • Complete Emergency Action Plan (Jon Haaversen, Eric Thomas)
    • Navy Ship Commissioning Event
      • No Date Set Yet
      • Dave Johnson, Laura E


  • Treasurer Report (Jim)
    • November
      • Slow month
    • December
      • Also Slow month
      • No Income
      • Greysolon Deposit
      • DSSA Donation
      • Insurance
    • P&L for 2019
      • Budget number came from prior year
      • Crew/Social went down
      • Race fees were almost spot on for expenses
      • Trans only made ~2500
        • Donation from Barkers brought it to 3500
      • Race equipment and supplies were way under
      • Boat repairs for new engine were high
    • Jim needs approval for new boat savings account
      • 1k per year
      • How many years on current boat?
        • Hull has many
        • Motor uncertain
      • Should it be 2k per year to be more realistic
      • Motion to create savings to start new boat fund
        • Transfer enough money to avoid fees from Secondary Checking
        • Motion to move 5k from secondary checking to new account for “new boat fund” and to add 2k to account every year after.
          • Passed
    • Donation to Jim Sharrow
      • Expressed his appreciation
      • 99 per year for Duluth Boat Club Affiliates


  • Race Committee Report
    • Proposed Schedule for 2020
      • Make Up Dates
    • NOR and SI Update
      • DNC should be scored uniformly
        • Number of finishers +1 for all races
      • Wednesday overall class champ
        • “The overall class championships will be scored as though they were a 3 race series where each ‘race’ is determined by a given boats final overall standing in the Spring, Summer, and Fall series.”
      • BOTY
        • Fray and July 4 race will not count
          • Leading edge will need update
        • Further issues are being tabled
      • Class split for nearshore
        • Determination will be made prior to the series start not adjusted part way through the season
      • Board passes motion to approve Page 1 of SI/NOR Decisions
    • Scoring Issues
    • Race Committee Members
      • A class: Keith
      • B class: Chris B
      • C class: Susan T
      • Jib and Main: Laurie S
      • J 24: Mike S
      • Open: Nannah M
    • Calendar
      • July Makeup Date
        • July 30 (for Summer Wednesday Series)
        • If this cannot work, race 4 count 3
        • If this does happen
          • Feedback Mechanism (EOY survey)
      • Duluth to Silver Bay
        • July 24
        • Last year was immediately after the trans
        • Goals was to get boats from the trans to stay for one more race
          • Might be worth to talk
        • Try on a non-Trans year to see if attendance is higher
        • Night start
          • Has to be to be on Friday
        • Kelly
          • Question and discussion on
      • Aug 30
        • Instead of 8 have 7 count with the 8th day as a makeup
      • Nanna
        • Series in a series
          • Women at the helm
          • Must have a female at the helm to count
          • Only with Nearshore
        • Regatta
          • Revamp J24
          • Weekend of the trans, but opposite year
            • Every other year
          • Aug 8 or 9
          • Open to J70/J80?
      • Tent
        • 90 day permit
        • 95 day calendar
        • Rather have the tent at the end of the season
      • Motion to Approve Calendar and Women at the Helm Series
        • Approved


  • Membership Update (Susan)
    • Website Link broken
    • It is up and running though


  • New Business
    • Mark Set Bot
      • RS will be sent info from DJ
    • Scoring Computer
      • DYC purchasing it’s own computer to run Sailwave
      • What does JV need and what will it cost
        • Anything else he might need
    • Boat club Update (KM)
      • Hold up with city
          • Community Involvement
            • How do we get people involved
          • Prove Ongoing funding (feasibility plan)
          • Up front capital (Individual $$ Commitment)
            • What do we have to start
        • Lease runs out in two years
          • City will not renew lease until we can prove all 3 items.
          • Needs to be full building, gazebo does not count.
          • Land Trust Outdoor Heritage Fund
            • Possible to get some funding from?
          • Trying to change the city contact as the club has been getting ignored
          • Duluth Park Land
            • Permitting
              • Tent covers that
          • 13th street needs/wants for DYC
            • Do you have/want a back-up plan?
    • Boat for UMD sailing team
    • Outreach to CYC and BVYC on Barthel Trophy
    • US Sailing Events for Club Leaders


  • DJ will fix membership link
  • What can DYC contribute to the city’s 3 points
  • Boat Club Discussion
    • Boat Clubs original idea was multi-million dollar
  • Feb Meeting
    • Race chair
      • JHo Budget Request
      • Set Race fees based on Budget
        • When was the last time they were adjusted?
  • Meeting adjourned

February 2020

7:00-8:30 PM


Gardner Builders Duluth, 2 W 1st St Suite 133, Duluth, MN 55802, USA


Board Members (Crew): Dave Johnson, Commodore(20), Matt Ruona, Vice Commodore (21), Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Steve Henry, Past Commodore (20), Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Tom Torgerson (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21), Gini Breidenbach (20)


  • Welcome Activity... (What should be in the next newsletter) (DJ)
    • Melissa France
      • What do we want in the newsletter
        • Coming
          • Socials
          • Race Schedule
          • New Boats
          • Member Feature
            • Boat/Crew
          • Rule Change/focus
          • Edu Update
          • Affiliate Events
          • Global Sailing events
            • National, etc
          • US Sailing
          • Debrief/Safety Tip
          • MVP Partner


  • Review the minutes from January (Jon)
    • Review of due dates for action items
    • Duluth Yacht Club @ gmail.com
      • Owns calendar for Yacht Club
    • 3 Classes for J24 regatta
    • Motion to approve minutes
      • Kelly
        • Second Gini


  • Treasurer Report (Jim)
    • No Transactions for the last Month
    • Update on proposed race fee increase to build a boat/motor replacement fund
      • Processing fee showing separately
        • 5% fee shows up on the Yacht Club side.
        • 3.5% vs 5%, Zap event carry over…?
      • $25 increase to a race fee
        • 4 said yes out of 7 or 8
        • Increase is to help with raising money for the committee boat fund.
        • Would have to be for individual race as well
        • 110 for all weekend races
        • Flat 10% over $25
          • Amended to 10% increase per registration event instead of $25 per race, rounding is OK (i.e. 110 to 120 instead of 121)
            • 300 to 330 (The Whole Enchilada)
            • 110 to 120 (Single Wednesday Series/Nearshore & Offshore)
            • NS 20-25 and DTB 50-55
          • Motion to raise
            • Raised


  • Increase Stipend for Race Committee
  • Race Committee Report (Robert)
  • NOR and SI Update
      • Abbreviated NOR and SI for leading edge
    • Other RC Updates

  • Membership/Leading Edge Report (Susan)
    • Leading edge
      • Time
        • Documents needed by April 1
      • Race Fees can be communicated and published


  • Social Committee Report (Christian and/or Nannah Myers)
    • Social schedule (for summer)
      • Pick names (can’t do until boats are registered for races)
      • Reach out for volunteers
        • Flyer, newsletter, etc
    • February Social
      • Something in the works
      • Movie at Zietgeist
    • Question from Kelley
      • Why did some people get money back?
        • Treasurer
          • Formula that money raised would go back to help reimburse food costs incurred.
          • Flip flop
            • Free food and BYOB, instead of paying for food
          • Bring it up next month
            • Decide then
            • Minor check?
    • Discussion on Liquor/Beer/Food/Socials
      • Lengthy and detailed
      • Steve reach out to a few other clubs to see what they do


  • Other items that might need to be reported on if progress is being made
    • Education Events

    • Boat Club Site
      • Meeting with the city Thursday Feb 13
        • Will know about both tent and long term building project



New business:


    • Boat for UMD sailing team (Who?)
      • Boat club idea
      • Eyes on a J24
        • Really bad shape
      • Working with DSSA for a loaner boat to use for Wed
      • Stepping stone boat to bridge the gap between DSSA and DYC
        • Funded by DYC
      • DSSA
        • Has a small boat club
          • Has a number of people that come up from the Twin Cities all summer to rent boats
          • Might bring in more money as rental
      • Have something to report back by April
        • Hopefully by March meeting
    • Outreach to CYC and BVYC on Barthel Trophy (DJ)
    • US Sailing Events for Club Leaders (DJ)

March 2020

    • NOR and SI Update
      • Abbreviated NOR and SI for leading edge
    • Other RC Updates

  • Membership/Leading Edge Report (Susan)
    • Leading edge
      • Time
        • Documents needed by April 1
      • Race Fees can be communicated and published


  • Social Committee Report (Christian and/or Nannah Myers)
    • Social schedule (for summer)
      • Pick names (can’t do until boats are registered for races)
      • Reach out for volunteers
        • Flyer, newsletter, etc
    • February Social
      • Something in the works
      • Movie at Zietgeist
    • Question from Kelley
      • Why did some people get money back?
        • Treasurer
          • Formula that money raised would go back to help reimburse food costs incurred.
          • Flip flop
            • Free food and BYOB, instead of paying for food
          • Bring it up next month
            • Decide then
            • Minor check?
    • Discussion on Liquor/Beer/Food/Socials
      • Lengthy and detailed
      • Steve reach out to a few other clubs to see what they do


  • Other items that might need to be reported on if progress is being made
    • Education Events

    • Boat Club Site
      • Meeting with the city Thursday Feb 13
        • Will know about both tent and long term building project



New business:


    • Boat for UMD sailing team (Who?)
      • Boat club idea
      • Eyes on a J24
        • Really bad shape
      • Working with DSSA for a loaner boat to use for Wed
      • Stepping stone boat to bridge the gap between DSSA and DYC
        • Funded by DYC
      • DSSA
        • Has a small boat club
          • Has a number of people that come up from the Twin Cities all summer to rent boats
          • Might bring in more money as rental
      • Have something to report back by April
        • Hopefully by March meeting
    • Outreach to CYC and BVYC on Barthel Trophy (DJ)
    • US Sailing Events for Club Leaders (DJ)

April 2020

Board Members (Crew): Dave Johnson, Commodore(20), Matt Ruona, Vice Commodore (21), Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Steve Henry, Past Commodore (20), Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Tom Torgerson (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21), Gini Breidenbach (20)


  • Leadership Team Report...How are you doing during this stay at home order. What impact has it had on your family, job, etc (2-3 minutes each)
    • Gini Breidenbach
    • Laura Erkelenz
    • Christian Fraser
    • Jon Haaversen
    • Steve Henry
    • Dave Johnson
    • Kelly McMahon
    • Matt Ruona
    • Tom Torgerson
    • Susan Turnham
    • Jim Welinski



  • 2020 Racing Season in light of Covid-19 Things to consider
    • MN Stay at Home order in place until May 4 (State emergency until May 13)
    • Peak of Infections in MN forecasted to be in July
    • Our recreation sometimes involves risk to us but we willingly take that on. At no point in time should our recreation put others at risk. (DJ)
    • Cancel (if so how much)
      • Spring? Summer? Fall?
      • Nearshore?
      • Offshore?
    • Offer a modified race series for double or single handed? (Crew must live together?)
    • 2020 Paid Memberships?
    • 2020 paid Race Fees?
    • Leading Edge?
    • Committee Boat?
    • Jim’s SailDuluth.com idea?
    • Tent Site?
    • Socials?




  • Leadership Team Thoughts, Ideas and Opinions on the Path Forward (2-3 minutes each)
    • Jim Welinski
      • Wait until May to figure things out.
    • Susan Turnham
      • Minnesota closures
        • Specifically refers to Yacht Club
          • All properties/boat activity is closed
          • Anticipates that it will be extended
          • Nothing definitive
          • Notify membership
            • Constantly monitoring

    • Tom Torgerson
      • Doesn’t want to be Board to motivate any unsafe opportunities
      • Ultimately cancel Spring for sure
      • Talk of Single or Double
        • Activity that could lead to the spread of virus, or increasing risk for those sailors that participate
      • Down the line
        • Evaluating how many members are being served
        • Fees
        • Tent site = no, a concern even later into the fall
    • Matt Ruona
      • Sided with Tom
        • Spring series = no
        • Probably no tent site
        • Re-evaluate for Summer forward
    • Kelly McMahon
      • Give a guideline that any Yacht club decision happens 3-4 weeks after any local government decision
    • Robert Schoer
      • In agreement with most of prior.
      • Refundable race fees
        • Need to come out with a general statement regarding that.
      • SI, skippers meeting May
        • Cancel
      • Facilitating single/double handed
        • Feels unwise for potential club involvement.
        • More so to have the 3 nearshore marks out, allows people to partake in “race like” activities.
    • Dave Johnson
      • Any fees paid this year
        • Could potentially be applied to next year
        • Or refunded
      • Slip fee for committee boat is in (Jim)
      • Comparison between western states and NY
        • CA super strict on distancing
        • NY took longer, has significantly more issues
      • Really likes that 3-4 week delay from Kelly’s suggestions
    • Steve Henry
      • Timeline seems to show that anything will be happening later
        • Hope for the best, expect the worst
      • Looks like spring is very unlikely/impossible
      • Something needs to go out to members
      • Creative alternatives that have gone around
      • Changes can be made, board must be flexible as we go along
      • Tent = foregone conclusion
    • Jon Haaversen
      • Pessimistic approach
    • Christian Fraser
      • Father works in Respiratory Clinic
        • Probably not getting out on the water
      • Potentially put together some sort of Zoom EDU sessions for socials
    • Laura Erkelenz
      • Have to wait and see
      • Social’s not in the card even if racing can happen at some point.
    • Gini Breidenbach
      • Wonders about budget
        • Needed expenses regardless of racing
      • Encouragement for some sort of membership to help covers absolute necessities
      • Racing later in season
        • Have to consider PR about spreading the virus on boats racing - overall community reputation at the club would be at stake.
      • Everything will be very unpredictable
        • No to spring would be a good call
  • Jim’s Response
    • Likes idea of trying to retain membership (Gini)
      • Minimizing expenses
      • Rolling over membership to 2021
      • Keeping people involved would be good
    • Small fleet
      • Unorganized events
        • Pickup races?
        • DSSA involvement
        • Sailing for non boat owners
      • Really anything to get people on the water
  • Susan
    • 32 people have paid 2020 membership fees
    • Might be beyond a full refund point
    • 4 race fees have been paid
      • Paid for the full package
    • Leading Edge
      • Sold enough ads to maybe print
        • Over $2,000 in ads sold already
        • Last year was just under 1,800 to print
        • Would like to still do it as a break even
          • To create a bit of self continuity - keep members engaged. We still exist even if no racing happens.
        • Printer is still open and running
          • Could definitely make it happen
          • No time emergency now
          • Steve, dave, like the idea of keeping the sense of continuity going.
  • Dave Turnham
    • Jim
      • Financials?
      • What are the bare bones
        • 20k in bank
        • No issues foreseen
      • Slip was paid for committee boat
        • Hoping that it would be refunded if slips don’t go in
  • Steve
    • No may sailing
      • Summer season still debatable
      • Covid 19 link on WYC page
        • What is being done
        • What is going to be done in the future
  • Lead Time to get ready for season
    • May meeting for any further decisions
      • June/July Sailing
    • Not enough info yet to make any major decisions until after May meeting
    • Not sure what will happen
      • Board/Club must remain flexible
    • Maybe move a board meeting back a week
      • May board meeting on May 4
        • Open to public earlier for questions/concerns
  • Jon makes motion to cancel may sailing extending start of season until June at the earliest
    • Second Matt, Gini, etc
    • Unanimous
  • Dave will send out newsletter
    • Talking about what was discussed, how we are going to move forward
    • Gini will work on website
      • Check out BYC
    • Jim making masks
      • Frontline medical/ at risk
      • Dave wants to float idea of club purchasing some of the masks donating to hospitals
        • Maybe trying to get some for vulnerable populations
        • Hospitals preparing for the long run
        • Not sure if ship shape would be an ideal partner for something like that.
  • Refund talk
    • At this point, no season has been determined
      • No race fee decisions at this point
        • Fees may be prorated/refunded
      • Push race fee deadline back
        • I.e. no deadline?
          • No rate increase on May 10
        • Motion to suspend marketing of race fees. Once a season is able to begin the board will make a decision on fee structure and due dates for those fees. Goal will be to give skippers 2-3 weeks to get race fees paid and boats ready to race
          • Kelly
            • Jon
            • Unanimous
  • Kelly talking about Boat club proposal for Trimmed down site proposal



  • Opportunity for others attending the meeting to make comments, suggestions or ideas



  • Make a Decision about the 2020 Racing Season and communicate that to the club

May 04 2020

Board Members (Crew): Dave Johnson, Commodore(20), Matt Ruona, Vice Commodore (21), Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Steve Henry, Past Commodore (20), Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Tom Torgerson (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21), Gini Breidenbach (20)



7-7:30 open forum for any DYC Member who would like to offer comments, suggestions, concerns, etc

  1. Brian H.
    1. Looking forward to having a season (if we can)
    2. Wants to urge not getting “ahead” of ourselves.
      1. Mentioned not wanting the board to look too far ahead of Governers orders
      2. If Executive order is extended into the summer
        1. Rally
          1. Way to get out and see people but no competition
  2. Eric T.
    1. Marina standpoint
      1. Being super careful
      2. Social distancing with staff and boaters
      3. One Family, One Boat
    2. Pursuit Sailing?
      1. Ability to get out on the water, doesn’t look like a race as much
  3. Heidi
    1. Educational nights instead of competitive races
  4. Kelly
    1. No Racing in May
    2. Whole season hasn’t been canceled
  5. John Hoenig (Race Committee)
    1. Talk of putting nearshore markers out
      1. To have some semblance of competitive sailing
    2. Boat is still covered
      1. No movement until racing is in the future
  6. Keith S.
    1. MYC
      1. Variable rating system as a potential experiment
        1. Rating changes within season so that by the end of the series boats all rate closer together
      2. Shadow rating? (Jeremy)
        1. Follow the VRS but not use it for trophies
        2. More so to see how this idea would work
    2. At the Mercy of the state government/“Other Folks”
    3. Putting ourselves at risk if we try to sponsor events in a haphazard way
    4. Mackinac Island Opening this week
      1. They are looking to hold the race (chi-mac)
        1. Quite the change from a few weeks ago
        2. 2nd weekend in July
    5. Because of closures by Bayfield City, Race week is up in the air at the moment
  7. Kelly
    1. Fixed course Wednesday series?
    2. Small boat season (second off of Jim)
  8. Sally B.
    1. Hard to see anyway of racing fairly within family only
    2. Virus won’t end when the executive order is lifted
    3. Racing won’t be safe for most of the summer (Paraphrased…?)
  9. Dwindle Family
    1. Assumed spring series would be canceled
    2. Was hoping summer series would be able to happen
  10. Paul B.
    1. Too soon to know beyond May
    2. Would like June sailing to stay a consideration
  11. Robert S.
    1. Wait and see situation
    2. Have to be careful
      1. We don’t want our hobby to put others at risk
    3. Would like to see consideration for racing options outside of the racing “Normal”
  12. Steve Henry
    1. Most important thing is to keep members safe
    2. Really likes the creative ideas brought up by past speakers
      1. Pursuit Racing
    3. Wouldn’t sanction racing but likes the idea of coordinating boating times
  13. Jim Welinski
    1. Considerations
      1. Socialized Sailing
        1. As far as a family
        2. Sailing days of the season
        3. Sailing hours of the season
        4. Rally
      2. Small Fleet
        1. Brought 16 foot catamaran down to club site
        2. Small boat sailing off the beach could be totally doable
  14. Sonja B.
    1. Every boats circumstances are very different
    2. Governor's orders are not end all be all of concern



  • 2020 Racing Season in light of Covid-19 Things to consider
    • MN Stay at Home order in place until May 17 (EO 20-48)
      • Recreation in household groups
      • Maintain social distancing
      • No forms of competition allowed


  1. Maintaining social distancing (6ft)
    1. Paragraph on Outdoor Activities





    • Cancel (if so how much)
      • Racing in May has been canceled...is it too early to make a decision about June?
      • Nearshore?
      • Offshore?
    • 2020 Paid Memberships
    • 2020 paid Race Fees
    • Committee Boat
    • Jim’s SailDuluth.com idea
    • Our recreation sometimes involves risk to us but we willingly take that on. At no point in time should our recreation put others at risk. (DJ)






  • Leadership Team Thoughts, Ideas and Opinions on the Path Forward from here (2-3 minutes each)
    • Jim Welinski
      • What are we left with the Yacht club if racing is canceled
        • Educational Events
        • Family Sailing
        • Small boat sailing
      • Financials
        • Very Few Transactions
      • Small fee to pay the Duluth Boat Club to Beach launch at boat club site
        • Dock?
        • Could serve small boats better along with boats that have moorings
        • Small boats can be run by 1 or 2 people
    • Susan Turnham
      • David Turnham
        • Asks Daryl
          • Renting small boats?
            • If you are a DSSA Member rental might be an option
            • Sounds like they haven’t made that decision on whether they can or not (per Jim)
            • Everything on hold until governor updates
      • Susan Turnham
        • Memberships have been paid
        • Number continues to climb
        • There is a real commitment to the club regardless of what happens on the water
    • Tom Torgerson
      • Votes for an incremental approach
      • Orders are making our decisions easy right now
        • Feels we as a club cannot sanction activity that might put anyone else at risk
    • Matt Ruona
      • As much as he would like to race we have to think about putting others (JHo, etc).
      • Not everyone has family that wants to/can race
        • Feels like spring series is completely out


    • Kelly McMahon
      • Trailer boat storage is $10 a foot at boat club site
      • Should be in line with other MN and WI Clubs so we aren’t alone in what decision is made
    • Dave Johnson
      • We need to have some sort of presence
      • “Treadmill Sailing”
        • Can participate on their own time
      • Because of continual Membership purchases people want something to happen.
        • What that looks like right now who knows.
    • Steve Henry
      • Like what Tom said
        • Right now we are currently just waiting on MN Government
        • The hard part will be when the governor says yes but to the members of the club it is still a risk
      • Hard decisions are ahead
        • Conservative is best
      • 18th for MN EO, 26th for WI
      • North Sails
        • Webinars starting tomorrow
        • Educational Opportunities
    • Jon Haaversen
      • Treadmill sailing (DTC Strava)

    • Christian Fraser
      • Small boat sailing
      • Data is changing week to week
      • Jury is out on a lot
      • Maybe Board as to meet before June to discuss July racing
      • It is our responsibility to not put others at risk
    • Laura Erkelenz
      • Even if the order is lifted in May we won’t be able to go sailing right away
        • Hobbies don’t take precedence over safety
    • Gini Breidenbach
      • Crew
        • Family Sailing is great if you have family that can go sailing
        • Some way to connect with Crew through ideas brought up today
          • Educational opportunities
      • Take-away from Buckley
        • It might become clear that the majority are comfortable sailing/racing
          • Might be there later in the summer
        • Some people just might not be comfortable going out
        • We might have to make a choice that most club members feel safe, but not everyone will feel the same.



  • What decisions can we make at this time?
    • Christian
      • DSSA membership for members that want to get out, if lasers will go in the water.
    • Jim
      • DYC members will get a discounted membership
      • $100 for season
      • Approach DSSA for more formal agreement for a more significant discount
      • If someone has a membership with DYC that some of those fees could transfer to DSSA to reduce price
        • Would be a great opportunity about “joining forces”
      • Cleaning a small boat
        • Only takes a few minutes
        • Small boats would be a great solution for this
      • DSSA has a chase boat
      • DSSA Board meeting in next week or two
        • Dave going to try and get an invitation to that meeting
        • How can we work together

    • Kelly
      • Sailing together is unrealistic
      • Logistics on dock (after discussion with DSSA)
        • At boat club site, what would it take
        • Costs/Logistics/Permits with City
        • Steve, what kind of security would be there?
          • If it was secure himself and others might be more comfortable with leaving boats there for other members to use.
          • Porta Potty would be needed
    • Gini
      • How can we support members that may not be able to afford a second membership to (DSSA) to be able to get out sailing

    • Steve
      • Would like to see about supplement members that want DSSA membership.
    • Susan
      • Meet in two weeks on May 18 after Stay in Place expires?
  • Date of next DYC Board meeting?


May 18 2020

DYC Board Meeting Agenda, May 18, 2020


Focus on what should be our plan for the 2020 Racing Season during the pandemic


7:00-8:30 PM

Online via Zoom : https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89195220661


Board Members (Crew): Dave Johnson, Commodore(20), Matt Ruona, Vice Commodore (21), Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Steve Henry, Past Commodore (20), Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Tom Torgerson (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21), Gini Breidenbach (20)



7-7:30 open forum for any DYC Member who would like to offer comments, suggestions, concerns, etc...we will start with Jim Sharrow president of the DSSA Board who will share what the DSSA is hoping to offer for sailing this upcoming season.


Jim S (DSSA)

  • DSSA does plan to have a season
  • They have written a COVID preparedness plan based on the MN Health Department Website
  • Private lessons
    • Single handed boat
    • Instructor using a motorboat or another sailboat communication done through walkie talkie.
  • Recovery (major sticking point)
    • If they can’t right the boat
    • PPE similar to county rescue
      • City has to approve the plan
  • Looking to buy more protective insurance
  • Training will happen in June
  • Opening will not happen until July
  • The “cruise” boots will be available for household use.
  • Open sailing
    • Not likely to happen during the week.
    • Likely run Friday evening through the weekend.
  • Plan to be on the water.
  • Membership for yacht club members is $99 ($60 for 19-29)
  • The larger boats are available for a fee (to help with operating costs on those boats).
  • A Minnetonka Sailing School has gotten verbal permission to run her 23ft boat with 1 instructor and 3 students
    • Gloves, glasses, masks and a major cleaning regiment.

Robert S

  • Dis-infecting boat
    • Answer
    • Most of their cleaning will be done using alcohol
    • Boats will be cleaned between users.

Jim Welinski

  • Storage trailer on site at boat club site?
    • Past ruling was that if it was on wheels it was OK.
  • Possible to have a porta potty on site?


Justin A.

  • Membership
    • Some might not see value in it.
    • Can we incentivise them to join, if racing doesn’t happen.
    • Discount for membership going into next season.
    • From Dave
      • What would you hope for the club to do?
      • Answer
        • Looking out for the clubs best interest.
        • Doing things like “couples races” only supports portions of the membership.

Larry M.

  • We haven’t had a membership campaign.
    • He thinks it should be done.
  • If nothing happens “race wise” that is “Okay”.

Brian H.

  • Hopeful for some “limited” racing
  • Short handed Crew sailing

Kelly McMahon

  • On a short handed crew would we need to adjust the racing threshold?
  • Follow-up from Brian
    • Longer lap, fewer mark roundings.
    • Call sooner (for weather etc.)

Sonja B.

  • Hopeful for something whatever that may be.
  • Each boat will have to balance the risk with those they sail with
  • There is always a lag in infection in response to changes in rules/laws (2-3 weeks).
  • “Educational opportunities out there have been great”

Ben R.

  • There are always people that work in high risk fields.

John Hoenig

  • Would like to see the Zoom meetings continue. Membership attendance is way higher than standard meetings.
  • Sailing anarchy posted an article about a CA Sailing club that has potentially figured out a way to go out and do it safely.
  • Shorter permanent start course using Bermuda start.


Roll Call: All board members in attendance.


Dave Johnson:

  • Dr. Michael Osterholm Presentation.
    • Directed towards faith leaders but many of the same principles apply.
  • Club will survive.
    • Our pressures are different than what governors and mayors are feeling.
  • Hopes for some form of racing.
    • Don’t know what.

Susan Mattis Turnham

  • With her work she was told the same things as from Dr.Osterholm.
  • Major eye opener
  • DNR Statement
    • Can I still go boating
      • yes but maintain social distancing
      • Stay with those in household
      • single or double to maintain safe social distancing.
  • We have the leading edge
  • Members
    • 63 memberships
    • 59 envelopes are stuffed

Jim Welinski

  • Feels that small fleet sailing is probably one of the only ways to encourage access.

Tom Thorgeson

  • Hard things to consider
    • Is there a way to race a sailboat without violating the social distancing requirements.
    • How do you race a sailboat without the main trimmer and driver sitting next to each other.
    • Any form of sailing with more than a single person on the boat cannot maintain a safe social distance (not a likely item to be pulled off of the governments list of items to stay).
    • Opens the club up to a lot of problems.

Matt Ruona

  • Even if restrictions are loosened do we want to sanction races/events?
  • Can you call it a race if in reality it is something different?

Kelly McMahon

  • It’s impossible to maintain a “safe social distance” on most sailing vessels.
  • It sucks but what are we to do?
  • Small boat
    • Hurdles to cross to have an organized small boat sailing
    • Jim was thinking just small boat recreation not organized sailing.

Dave Johnson

  • Humbled by the club memberships
  • Something should be offered
    • Glad we went forward with the leading edge
  • Rest year that maybe we focus on education.
  • Agrees with Tom
    • Only 5-8% of population have had the disease.
    • Nothing will change until that gets to 60-70%
  • Taking it very seriously.
    • A season off of racing may not be the worst thing.

Steve Henry

  • From the pragmatic standpoint.
    • Agrees with Tom
    • Recommends postponing all races until July for now.
    • To sanction anything right now would be the wrong choice.
    • Struck by Sonjas comment on education
      • So many places are putting out online seminars, etc.
      • How can we be a resource for our members on such topics.
      • Put together a zoom meeting weekly on education.
    • Small boat would be a good way to let members know we are thinking of them.
    • Our hands are tied.

Jon Haaversen

Christian Fraiser

  • Not possible to be a safe distance even on larger boats.
  • His boat has decided not to participate for the foreseeable future.
  • Is there a way to measure success on different metrics?
  • At this point encouraging racing is wrong.

Laura Erkelenz

  • Likes idea of having educational opportunites.
  • Let people know they can keep sailing but that maybe racing isn’t in the future for this season

Gini Breidenbach

  • We have a moral and legal responsibility to make the choice about not racing this season.
  • It is a recreational event, we might really, really love it but it is recreational.
  • Setup of permanent short course to practice on would be awesome.



Boat club site

  • To store boat = $10 a foot
  • Steve
    • Waived fees for yacht club members to use others boats
    • Boat club has voted and that will not be possible.

Jim for John Hoenig

  • Possibility of a variety of marks on the lake that could be changed weekly?
  • Family sail/rally style of sailing
  • J-Ho
    • Possible.
    • Way for people to just get out and sail
  • Week long time period to complete the circuit.
    • Could be highly variable.
  • Subcommittee
    • J-Ho, Jim W, Robert
    • Contact DNR
      • Is it OK to put marks out?


Decisions

  • Sailing?
  • Motion to Cancel June Racing and notify members of intent to cancel, being optimistic but realistically season will not happen.
    • Jon
    • Second
      • Gini
    • Vote: Unanimous in favor
  • Would be good to put out a notice to the club that we don’t expect to be racing this season but we don’t want to give up hope.
  • Wayzata
    • Not racing
    • Very strict club restrictions


  • 2020 Racing Season in light of Covid-19... Things to consider
    • MN Stay Safer at Home EO 20-56
      • Recreation in household groups
      • May gather in groups of 10 or less but still maintain social distancing
      • Some forms of outdoor competition allowed
    • Peak of Infections in MN forecasted to be in mid July
    • Cancel (if so how much)
      • Racing in May has been canceled...what about June?
      • Nearshore?
      • Offshore?
    • 2020 Paid Memberships
    • 2020 paid Race Fees
    • Committee Boat
    • Set permanent marks?
      • Household Group Series?
        • Bermuda Starts?
        • Rules to maintain 6 feet or more between boats?
    • Our recreation sometimes involves risk to us but we willingly take that on. At no point in time should our recreation put others at risk. (DJ)




  • What decisions can we make at this time?
    • Response to request from Scott Smith Commodore Minnetonka Yacht Club


  • Date of next DYC Board meeting?
    • June 15 to discuss July sailing and further.

Items sent to Board Members to look at before the meeting:

https://mn.gov/governor/assets/EO%2020-56%20Final_tcm1055-431921.pdf

https://www.gowrie.com/pdfs/GowrieRiskReport-BurgeeProgram-COVID-RiskManagement-FINAL.pdf

Dr. Michael Osterholm presentation to Church leaders on Friday, May 15, 2020 presentation starts at 3:00 minutes ends talk at 17:00 minutes and then questions from those present



June 15 2020

DYC Board Meeting Agenda, June 15, 2020


Focus on what should be our plan for the 2020 Racing Season during the pandemic


7:00-8:30 PM

Online via Zoom : https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89195220661


Board Members (Crew): Dave Johnson, Commodore(20), Matt Ruona, Vice Commodore (21), Jon Haaversen, Secretary, Jim Welinski, Treasurer, Steve Henry, Past Commodore (20), Susan Mattis Turnham (20), Tom Torgerson (20), Kelly McMahon (21), Laura Erkelenz (21), Christian Fraser (21), Gini Breidenbach (20)



7-7:30 open forum for any DYC Member who would like to offer comments, suggestions, concerns, etc...


Stacy M

  • Happy to be able to make it to a meeting!
  • No way to do social distancing well on a race boat. In agreement with notes from the last board meeting.
  • Question from Dave: feelings about Trans Superior 2021?
    • Plans/ideas for changes for next year could still be talked about.
    • Should carry on as best we can.
    • Planning might need a different approach



Jeremy L

  • Hasn’t received any race certificates.
    • Partially because no racing
    • Wouldn’t be able to do super quick turn around if people waited to send in once racing if racing is officially announced.


Art J

  • MN Stay at Home updated: gather outdoors with friends and family in groups of 25 or less, and indoors in groups of 10 or less with safe social distancing practices in place.
  • Pg 6 Outdoor recreation.
  • Recreational boating
  • For opening up racing. Yacht scoring is showing a lot of races still being held.
  • Feels that to postpone further racing is curtailing the sport.


JHo

  • Here to Listen.
  • Endeavoring to get marks in the water this week.
  • Waiting for final word from the board.



Link to minutes from May 18th DYC Board Meeting


  • July Sailing
    • Jim W
      • No expenses in the last month
        • Income is membership fees
      • Slip
        • Committee boat slip available for member use?
        • Could coordinate with Jim to reserve?
        • Granting committee boat not being there.
      • Racing?
        • Chicago friend
          • No, harbors are still closed, series is scheduled for after harbors opened, limited crew. Marinas closed.
        • Our World
          • If an owner wants to manage safe practices on board, could be done.
          • Wyzatta face masks required at all times.
          • Limited crew, safe practices in place.
    • Susan
      • Membership
        • 82 members
        • 34 fam
        • 18 ind
        • 19 social
        • 3 students
        • 78 packets processed
        • Ongoing process to get leading edge out to members.
      • Sustaining members
        • 34 up to 45
        • Ind is down
      • Race fees
        • 4 people that paid before are still the only 4
      • Racing
        • Don’t think we can safely race.
        • How is it possible to race while keeping a safe distance
        • J22 NA and Worlds canceled.
        • WYC has practice events
          • Household limits
          • Canceled Sunday due to conditions
        • Reluctant to sanction official activities.
    • Tom T
      • Social distancing is something we can’t meet
      • Whether it is enforced or not should not be a concern
    • Kelly M
      • Likes Art’s comment about the decision to race up to captain.
      • Thinks
    • Christian F
      • “Weakening”
        • How can we as a board be responsible if one of our members become sick because of our decision.
        • We haven’t seen a peak yet
          • As time goes on it’ll be getting worse for a while
        • Opening options for triangle races, race to race fee, etc
        • We don’t know what is ahead of us.
    • Dave J
      • With Tom
        • Super difficult to maintain 6 foot distance even on a 40 foot boat.
        • Doesn’t see how it is possible even sort of keep a safe distance on a sailboat.
      • Excited to see what options we might be able to have for single handed or single household participation style events.
      • Doesn’t seem responsible or possible to hold standard racing
    • Robert S
      • 2 options for permanent mark racing
        • Safety protocols/crew limitation/
          • What will they be and how will they be enforced.
        • Owner discretion racing
          • Seams really risky to really sponsor any racing activity
      • Individual boat racing
        • Can we keep a course out there to do a 2 mile race?
          • Write down time and wind speed
            • Retroactively create PHRF races if enough boats participate



Board Response to RC Options

  • From Steve H
    • Consider creating “COVID Cup”
      • Create a course
      • Complete once a week throughout the summer
      • Keep track of times
        • RaceQS to keep track of the times
      • Could be sailed whenever
      • All boats could participate as they want
      • Keep it Single Handed/single household
    • Tom and Jon don’t see how this can be done while maintaining social distancing.
    • Susan
      • How are we perceived by the community
      • Doesn’t want the Clubs reputation to be dragged down by trying to sanction races that violate
    • Christian
      • Would rather regret missing out on races than one of our activities caused someone to get sick.

What do we do going forward?

  • Motion to cancel all races for the month of July (Jon)
    • 2nd by Christian
    • 6-2 approved

Next Board Meeting

  • July 13th




  • 2020 Racing Season in light of Covid-19... Things to consider
    • MN Stay Safer at Home EO 20-75
      • Recreation in household groups
      • May gather in groups of 10 or less but still maintain social distancing
      • Some forms of outdoor competition allowed
        • Club falls into Medium Risk
          • Keep any “play” or interaction between players contactless
          • Games and Competitions are not recommended at this time for [sports within this category of risk].
    • Peak of Infections in MN: End of June
    • Cancel / Modify / Hold as scheduled?
      • Racing?
      • Nearshore?
      • Offshore?
    • 2020 Paid Memberships
    • 2020 paid Race Fees
    • Committee Boat
    • Set permanent marks?
      • Household Group Series?
        • Bermuda Starts?
        • Rules to maintain 6 feet or more between boats?
    • Our recreation sometimes involves risk to us but we willingly take that on. At no point in time should our recreation put others at risk. (DJ)



July 13 2020

Member Comments

  • Keith S
    • Just checking in.
    • Art and Keith are going down to help with “Hook Race”
    • Going through Chicago if people need Rafts and MOM that need repacked (July 26/27, Dave will add into Newsletter).
  • Brian H
    • Thinks it seems a little silly that so many people are racing informally that the club doesn’t start sponsoring racing.
    • Club can start to lose their relevance after a while if this continues.
  • Ben R
    • Little bit of an Echo from Brian. Having a little informal support would be beneficial.
  • Heidi
    • No specific thoughts, just wants to know what’s going on.




  • Leadership Team Thoughts, Ideas and Opinions on the Path Forward
    • Jim Welinski
      • We would have to have a strict set of rules/boat owners would have to be willing to enforce those rules.
      • Financial Report
        • Very few transactions over the last month.
      • Committee Boat Dock Liaison
        • Switched dock to Grandma’s side of MN Slip.
    • Susan Turnham
      • Ashland/Bayfield counties have published mask advisories.
        • Large outbreak last week from a Hockey Tournament.
        • Citywide face mask requirement indoors for Duluth/Superior.
        • The club endorsing activities seams in poor taste given the local climate surrounding these issues.
      • Membership Update
        • 5 new memberships in June, none in July.
        • 84 paid
          • 34 family
          • 27 individual
          • 20 social
          • 3 student
      • Leading Edge Report
        • 63 packets were delivered
        • 21 were mailed
          • 79.02 of expenses for mailing/packaging
    • Tom Torgerson
      • Is there status on other clubs in the region?
        • Bay view Mac race just finished
          • Touch and go only.
        • Bayfield had a “Sailfest”
          • Not a pursuit but had a 3 minute delay between races.
          • This was not
        • Wayzata open but with restrictions
          • Trying to maintain mandated restrictions.
        • Wyskegen
          • Racing
        • Other areas around the lake are doing limited racing.
        • “Hook Race” is happening
          • Racine - manomany yacht club
          • A lot of boats that would have done Chi/Mac did this as the Chi/Mac was canceled.
        • Wayzata Club
          • Training/racing has a lot of restrictions for racing.
          • 24 ft or less there are crew restrictions.
            • <24 no more than 3
            • >24 no more than 4 crew
          • Just a little off the top
        • Milwaukee Yacht Club
          • No mask mandate
          • Skippers have to ask every member if they have any signs/symptoms.
          • If crew does skippers are liable.
          • Sailing with reduced crew
          • As competitive as possible
      • Concern continues to be with the inability to social distance on the boat.
        • Cases are rising.
    • Matt Ruona
      • With the current rise how can we promote full on racing.
      • Enjoyable to just get out and sail.
      • To make anything happen there are a lot of legal hoops to jump through, is it worth the time?
    • Kelly McMahon
      • Possible to still salvage a season?
      • People are out there, is it worse for us not not have something in place, because it might be worse as most of the area is probably still under the assumption that it is DYC events.
    • Dave Johnson
      • Taking it all very seriously
        • We are seeing the fruits of areas that have not taken it seriously.
        • No way to maintain distance on a sailboat.
      • Kick off event for one year to 2021 Trans Superior
      • Plans for next year
    • Steve Henry
      • Recognizes everything is moving the wrong way to start relaxing.
      • Holding pattern and maintaining the status quo for now.
    • Jon Haaversen
      • No Change.
    • Christian Fraser
      • Position has not changed
        • A few scares at work.
        • Wants to be out there but that just isn’t possible.
        • Numbers are going up significantly in our area.
      • report on June social with Pay It Forward PPE project
        • Had 10 people, could potentially happen again.
        • No final number on Food Shelf donations
    • Gini Breidenbach
      • Position has not changed.
      • We have talked about supporting informal fun while out sailing.
      • Leaning towards the fact that people might be out “racing” doesn’t look bad on us as a club.
      • We have a responsibility as an organization to keep the safety of our members front and center.
  • Motions?
    • TT Motion to cancel racing for August and Sept
      • Discussion
        • Cancel only for August at this time, wait on decision for Sept.
      • Second by Gini (sadly)
      • 7 for, 1 opposed
    • Motion passed to cancel August Racing.
    • Meet again to talk about September.



  • What decisions can we make at this time?
    • Racing in August
    • Membership
      • Paid for membership to apply to next year?
        • Many members purchased after the newsletter talking about the grim reality of our racing year.
        • Maybe make it an option to carry over.
      • Apply this years membership to some sort of event.
      • From Keith
        • Window stickers instead of bumper stickers?
        • Should offer some opportunity for paid members for the money they paid.
      • From Jim
        • Not do anything
        • Refund or rollover to those that ask?
        • Not push either way, but a way to help those that have hardships.
        • As a non profit we should just roll with the flow.
        • Motion made for both membership/race fees.
          • Discussion
            • Race fees should be sent back or specifically rolled to next year (TT, JH). DJ will call the 4 that paid race fees.
          • Membership will be kept as it is, if members approach, money can be refunded/applied to next year.
          • Passes
    • Trans superior
      • Kick off by having a beach pickup event?
        • Wherever whenever.
    • Annual Meeting
      • DJ will be a one term Commodore
        • Wants to put more effort into the Trans Superior
        • Matt will be up.
      • Rob Schoer wants to be done as Race Chair.
        • Set schedule before Annual Meeting
      • John Hoenig
        • Nominating chair
          • RC is appointed by Commador
        • Buoys are out. 17th street will be getting moved offshore a little bit.
        • Club should get a Zoom membership if this will continue to be the normal.
      • Matt and Dave.
    • New Board members
  • Date of next meeting.
    • 2nd Monday of August (10th).
  • Gini
    • Can help with Newsletters/Website updates.
    • Opportunity to put this years membership fees towards the “Boat Fund”
  • Closing remarks
    • DJ
      • It’s been a tough time to try and be on the board.
      • Glad that everyone is thinking of others.


  • 2020 Racing Season in light of Covid-19... Things to consider
  • Things to work on / consider for next season
    • Applying 2020 Memberships to the 2021 season????
    • Refunding Race Fees paid or apply to 2021???
    • Setting Race Schedule for 2021
    • Trans Superior
    • Recruiting board members for 2021 season?